nanog mailing list archives

Re: Possible login/password grabbing ploy

From: "Mark Borchers" <markb () infi net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:27:54 +0000

On 11 May 98 at 20:16, Ryan Jeffs wrote:

There has been at least one other company that I know of in the past
couple of years that has done this, although the name slips my mind. Their
purpose was to hit poorly spelling surfers with ad's when they typed
"ayhoo.com" or "entcom.com" etc... accidently in their browser. Legitimate
use of the domains, no matter how stupid :)

An illegitmate use of these types of domain is easily proven in cases
such as one I dealt with a year or so ago.  In a domain that was one
character off from one that my company owned, DNS revealed that there
was a record for every server hostname that was on my network (and
they weren't all commonly-used hostnames, either).  If anyone can
think of some ethical and non-malicious reason to do this, I would be
interested in hearing it.

Mark Borchers
InfiNet