nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Great Exchange

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:33:04 -0400

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 01:44:08PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
1) More needs to be done to leverage locality of traffic

In the long run, why are we assuming there will be locality of
traffic?

It is true that the old PSTN has locality of traffic, but it doesn't
have flat rate pricing, or the usage patterns that the Internet has. I
argue that users are rarely more likely to be trying to download a web
page from near to their homes than from far away. If there is
locality, it is probably weak, and in the long run would only account
for a fraction of the traffic.

The Web is Not The Net.

Please write that 100K times on your blackboard.  (PS: no, you _can't_
use expect(1l) :-).

The fact, however, that you're correct in your implication that it's
difficult to prove how much traffic would be geographically local given
the routing technologies currently available is why I was going to slip
the peering in under the rug of selling the transit -- which everyone
seems to be telling me won't work.

On another point, it's worth noting that, _currently_, all the "good"
servers are somewhere else... but this won't be the case forever.

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com