nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where do you stand?

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 20:22:00 -0700

At 04:20 PM 10/7/98 -0400, John Golovich wrote:
What would you do in this case?

You are contracted by an accounting firm and as a favor to them
you provide email redirection, pop accounts, web redirection, and
web space to their clients at no charge.

Your company is the one who registers the domain name and pays
for it.  In fact the domain name isnt in the name of the company,
but is in fact in the name of your company.

All of a sudden the individual stops dealing with the accounting
firm.  Out of the blue, without any contact you receive a notice
showing domain modifications.

After perfoming 15 months of free service they dont even bother to
call to tell you they are transfering the domain name they paid for.

The key is who paid for it? When MHSC registers a domain, for someone else,
we put it in *their* name in the first-place. But, we also only carry the
primaries until they can get their own set up. We will carry secondaries
for almost anyone.

The bottom-line is that they don't have to notify you other than as a
courtesy. That you were comping them other services is irrelevent. It
creates no compulsion/obligation on their part, towards you. Incentive,
maybe. But, not obligation. Yes, it is rude on their part. But, that's
about all.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com>rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.