nanog mailing list archives

Re: Actions to quiet the Smurf amplifiers?

From: Dan Hollis <goemon () sasami anime net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 14:39:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 Havard.Eidnes () runit sintef no wrote:
Lastly, I'd like to get some idea as to how best to attack this
problem -- the present method of "public list of shame" of the
providers with the amplifiers as "local sources" is one method, but
I'm far from certain that it will be effective.

Finding some way to deny them routing until the problem is fixed, is the
most effective means I can think of. (I dont mean a DoS attack, I mean
some way of ignoring their route announcements).

The last site I dealt with took _3 weeks_ to close their amplifiers once
they were notified. And this was a multimillion dollar publishing company.

-Dan