nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () nacs net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 02:14:14 -0400

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 05:54:02PM -0400, Gary R Wright wrote:
Karl Mueller writes:
Clearly, .COM is used for criminal and malicious activities.
I propose that we remove it due to abuse.

This points out the legal ambiguity of the global top-level domains.
At least with the .to domain it is clear who is responsible for
the domain.  With .com, .net, etc. the name space crosses legal
boundaries inviting all sorts of legal confusion.  The legal
situation could be clarified considerably if the gtld's were moved
under the country code domains.

Actually, now that I think about it, it is hard for me to come up with
a situation where you could possibly hold a TLD administrator liable for
criminal activities perpetrated by a domain registrant. I'm sure someone
else will come up with something.

--

Anyone who spams me will be subject to torture by Jake,
my killer attack hedgehog, and/or Lizzy and Junior, my man-eating iguanas.