nanog mailing list archives

Re: Flash crowds and network management

From: Sean Donelan <SEAN () SDG DRA COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:33:44 -0500

bicknell () dimension NET (Leo Bicknell) writes:
      That's 5600 hits a second, for those who don't want to
fire up bc.  Not bad.

Some government servers were seeing over 10,000 hits per second
at the peak, about double CNN's load.

So does anyone have any practical/technical advise on how the
government sites could have done better.  Be carefull about
following IBM's webhosting manager J.D. Zeeman's example of
foot-in-mouth problem when he said "I doubt they are scalable
to the extent of the ones we have."  LOC's servers were made
by IBM.