nanog mailing list archives

Re: cheap GPS

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:30:26 -0700 (PDT)

bmanning () vacation karoshi COM writes:
http://www.navcen.uscg.mil/gps/geninfo/y2k/gpsweek.htm

    Something to look forward to. :)

Any predictions whether this will have more or fewer affects than
NIST setting daylight savings time in the wrong month a few years
ago on WWV/B?

        More. There are more receivers and more dependence on
        accurate time, e.g. accounting, backups, ticketing.
        Somewhere, somebody, witha  "blind" dependence on the
        NTP presentation will be out of sync w/ their neighbors
        & themselves and at best will waste time argueing about
        when something happened. At worst they'll overwrite critical
        data that has financial implications...  I predict.
        Or I could just get/stay lost...

--bill