nanog mailing list archives

RE: Large-datagram hop-by-hop delivery mechanism

From: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler () wilcom com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:09:47 -0500

I am seeking a mechanism for reliable delivery of large blobs through a
network of occasionally-connected hosts that can forward the blobs using
available transport protocols.

I can't find it, though. Most of the networking materials I can find
deal more with immediate-transmission networks, where the destination
host is reachable at the instant that the source host transmits. (This
isn't a catenet.)

If anyone knows of such a common or standardized system, please drop me
a note.

sounds to me like email, where the sending host tries again and again
over a defined period of time to delivery data.  no?
---

Or (God help us) UUCP if scheduling is a factor.