nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mars lander (Re: How to achieve application reliability)

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 5 Dec 1999 15:04:01 -0800

On Sun, 05 December 1999, Nathan wrote:
Here is a great link explaining in detail the design and architecture of
the web accelerators on the net that were designed to support the load that
marspolarlander.com was supposed to generate.......although they have no
feed to push....it was impressive.

http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3071.html

Yes, it was very impressive.  I was hoping they would be successfull, because
in a few weeks the next event will also require some interesting web site
hosting.  If it had worked, then the people who follow could just copy it.
Even without a feed to push, the sites were unresponsive for parts of the
day.

http://www.newsbytes.com/pubNews/99/140268.html

I'm very concerned we still haven't proven we know how to handle big event
sites on the Internet.