nanog mailing list archives

RE: AT&T Worldnet problem

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 3 Dec 1999 07:47:48 -0800

Additional information from the AT&T web site about Wednesday's Worldnet
problem.

An Apology... And an Explanation.

On December 1, 1999, there was an outage that affected AT&T WorldNet Service
members. First I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have
caused, and second, I'd like to explain what happened.

This problem was not caused by AT&T's network. However, it did affect our
system, and our members. Another Internet Service Provider made a network
change that caused the public Internet to have incorrect information on how to
reach AT&T WorldNet servers. As a result AT&T WorldNet customers could not
browse the Internet, and mail from other Internet Service Providers to AT&T
WorldNet members was delayed. AT&T engineers worked to isolate the problem and
provided a work around to restore service by 4:30 p.m. In addition, AT&T
notified the other Internet Service Provider, who in turn corrected their
configuration. The smooth operation of the entire Internet depends on accurate
information and cooperation from all Internet Service Providers. This reflects
the distributed nature of the Internet and its design characteristics.

AT&T WorldNet Service continually works to improve its service. In fact, based
on a recent study by Solomon Wolff Associates, AT&T WorldNet Service was rated
as having the highest level of customer satisfaction among the five largest
Internet Service Providers.

Again, you have our sincerest apologies for yesterday's outage. Please be
assured that we are working to prevent this kind of an interruption in the
future.

Thank you for being an AT&T WorldNet Service customer.

Ed Chatlos
AT&T WorldNet® Service Vice President & General Manager