nanog mailing list archives

Re: transit across the ixs

From: Pete Kruckenberg <pete () kruckenberg com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:56:03 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Randy Bush wrote:

you might be amused to write a bit of code to see if
your ix peers are giving you next-hops of other
provider(s).  it is clear that a number of providers are
selling transit across the ixs.  not at all cool.

we can't decide whether to force next hop on their
routes, or keep watching and de-peer them if they do not
cease and desist.  what do others do in this
circumstance?

I'm aware of at least one fairly major backbone who does
this (at least they used to).

What's the issue with this anyways? I mean, at least
superficially it's basically the same traffic. I can see
that there would be some issues with how the traffic
transitions the ixs, which may or may not be a problem.

Pete.