nanog mailing list archives

Re: Operational question: Building filters from IRRdbs

From: Cengiz Alaettinoglu <cengiz () ISI EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:48:32 -0800 (PST)

Version 3.5.8 or 3.5.7 works with radb. Please be aware, command line
options have changed between version 3 and 4.

Alex Bligh (amb () gxn net) on January 6:
Gerald,

Oh OK - that explains it.

Which version of peval do I have to run (3.xxx???) to work
with the production servers? 4.xxx doesn't work with RADB
etc.

Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)

Hello Alex,

I have resynchronized the data on our experiemental/educational
rpsl.merit.edu/43 server. As far as the server running at
low priority goes, this has nothing to do with the 'up to dateness'
of the data.  Normally data is refreshed every 15 minutes
with production server, whois.ra.net/43.  However, this is
a transitional period in which experimentation and code development
are occuring.  There is no stable RPSL database code distribution
at this point in time and the effort to bring this code to prodcution
status is still on-going.  And as such, you can expect data staleness,
outages, etc... occasionally as the bugs are finally ironed out.

The situation on our production server is quite different.
We are the authoritative source for the radb and ans db's
and we mirror ripe @15mins.  Bell Canada/canet and MCI/CW
are non-mirrored db's and we download them @24hrs.  However,
our production server is RIPE181 compliant whereas rpsl.merit.edu
is a playpen for the next  db syntax, RPSL.

regards,

--jerry (Merit)

Alex Bligh (amb () gxn net) on January 3:
Here's a couple of operational questions for those who build
filters from IRRdb's.

Background:

* peval / rpsl.merit.edu *may* be incorrectly evaluating
  RIPE database entries currently - but this isn't my main
  thrust. The scary thing is suddenly what I'm 99% sure used
  to work (expanding AS Macros) now silently fails if they
  are in RIPE. [for details see the end]

* I'm not saying the server is broken (I guess it has something to
  do with the 'server is running at low priority' line), but if I had
  this in an automatic filter generating run, it would generate
  the RADB stuff just fine, and silently filter out all RIPE based
  peerings. Even if it's working perfectly correctly, the questions
  are still interesting, at least to me.
[snip...]

Cengiz

--
Cengiz Alaettinoglu           Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/~cengiz    University of Southern California