nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internic and PGP

From: David Shaw <dshaw () jabberwocky com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:03:44 -0500

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 05:48:18PM -0800, J.D. Falk wrote:

On 03/30/99, Jeff Frost <batalion () apocalypse org> wrote:

Has anyone else been having problems modifying domain templates, etc using
PGP authentication at the Internic?  I called today because I've been
having problems for a week and was told that Network Solutions is having
difficulties with their PGP keyserver.  No ETA on when it's going to be
fixed.  I'm just wondering if this is the truth or if the tech is just not
willing to help me with my domain issues.

      It's been nonfunctional (at least according to NSI) for some
      time now, probably more than a year, though they may have
      had it functional for short periods therein.

I wasn't aware that NSI had announced it was nonfunctional.  If they
officially know that it's down, whyintheheck do they still promote it on
their web site?

Call me crazy, but p romoting a service that they know is broken (and has
been broken for months) and has no particular ETA to be fixed seems like a
stupid thing to do.

So Guardian is dead, and now there are going to be a lot more
registrations like 'mybigstiffy.com' (try a whois on it), and a lot more
people registering all sorts of domains and pointing them to random
nameservers.  Oh joy, what a wonderful leap *backwards* this all is.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw () jabberwocky com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/