nanog mailing list archives

Re: Secondary DNS for Paraguay's TLD?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:38:37 -0500

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 09:20:24AM -0500, alex () nac net wrote:

    Anyone in a situation like this, I'm willing to do secondaries
for these sorts of domains, and plan to build a secondary-dns-server
engine that people would be able to send templates to, etc..

Same here; nac.net would be willing to host any secondary DNS for anyone,
specifically TLDs or foreign folks. Foreign to the US, that is :-)

IMHO, the internic should not allow any domains to have pri+sec nameserver
in the same /24

Amen, except it can be misleading.

   NS1.NAC.NET                  207.99.0.1
   NS2.NAC.NET                  207.99.0.2
   NS6.NAC.NET                  209.123.20.243

Whilst 207.99.0.1 and .2 are on the same /24 (obviously), 207.99.0/24 is
subnetted to 256 /32's, and routed to the machines. Why? So, when a
machine/name-server moves within our network, it doesn't have to be
renumbered.

        My point is that you're doing it correctly.  If you lose
one of your aggregate blocks, it's not going to cause a problem.  Like
for example, if someone else started to announce your /24 or a /19
with your dns servers in it.

        You also distribute nameservers geographically, so if you
lose power in a location, you don't die.

        - jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net