nanog mailing list archives

Re: Global BGP community values?

From: Jeff Mcadams <jeffm () iglou com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:18:53 -0400

Thus spake Randy Bush
but there is an underlying problem.  i have a business relationship with my
direct neighbors under which we can negotiate traffic patterns.  i do not
have a business relationship with a 'distant' network.  hence i am rather
reluctant to allow them to influence my policies when those decisions my be
costing me money, or my customers performance, or ...

But you already do...unless you control your traffic patterns
explicitely and completely with local-prefs and the like, as-path
probably makes the decision for a large portion of your traffic...and
as-path length certainly can be influenced by a "distant" network.

I understand your point, but its really just a matter of degree.
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffm () iglou com
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848