nanog mailing list archives

Re: Question about strain on the A root server

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 15:31:37 EDT

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, "Nick Patience" wrote:

NSI seems slightly unsure as to the main reason for the increase in hits,
but speculates that one of the reasons may be
says the main reason for this is that ISP's are using different caching
techniques and more & more searches are going right to the top of the
tree
than before.

What do people on this list feel about this as a reason? It seems a
little
woolly to me.

It seems rational to me.

I know I used to forward off to my upstream and rely on their cache, but
now I just dig it straight from the root servers and rely on my own cache.

Probably less efficient, but takes a point of failure out of the loop.
It's difficult getting your upstream to admit to DNS problems sometimes.