nanog mailing list archives

RE: lame delegations

From: Karyn Ulriksen <kulriksen () publichost com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:54:30 -0700

RFC 1912, Sec 2.1:

" Make sure your PTR and A records match.  For every IP address, there
   should be a matching PTR record in the in-addr.arpa domain.  If a
   host is multi-homed, (more than one IP address) make sure
that all IP
   addresses have a corresponding PTR record (not just the first one).
   Failure to have matching PTR and A records can cause loss
of Internet
   services similar to not being registered in the DNS at all.  Also,
   PTR records must point back to a valid A record, not a
alias defined
   by a CNAME.  It is highly recommended that you use some software
   which automates this checking, or generate your DNS data from a
   database which automatically creates consistent data."

I have yet to hear a convincing argument why this RFC should be
ignored.  I have seen many problems when this is ignored.

What about when you're setting up ARPA entries referring to CIDR
allocations?

as in ...

1.8.5.10.in-addr.arpa.    86400  IN   CNAME    1.0/24.8.5.10.in-addr.arpa.

Somethings got to give there.  I know that you could say well, just put the
hostname instead of the target listed above, but the above is often used to
delegate ARPA for subnets to downstreams...

Karyn

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
      gem () rellim com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676