nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:58:32 -0400

Roland Dobbins wrote:

It's a far-*left* policy - "We're ARIN, and we know how best everyone's
resources should be allocated."

A far-right policy would be "Here are these IPs you've requested; use
them as you will, but don't come whining back to us for more because you
underestimated your initial request."  This would be far preferable.

The SSL issue is a real one, and I don't know how to get around it.  One
would assume that this would qualify as an 'exception'; however, how are
they going to verify what you're using them for?  Are they going to nmap
your networks to see if you're really running SSL on the IPs you've
requested?

It's irrelevant. I wouldn't mind using name-based hosting, but I have seen
some issues with Apache where it doesn't always serve up the correct
site. I haven't found a good way to do it at all with IIS, since you must
identify an IIS-hosted site by IP address. (Please, someone let me know
if there's a way to do name-based hosting with IIS - I'd like to do it!)

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, BOFH - President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor