nanog mailing list archives

Re: NPIC Warning

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 30 Dec 2000 16:57:35 -0800

On Sat, 30 December 2000, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
List members might be interested in this zombie warning :

http://www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/2000/00-063.htm

as reported in
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,40905,00.html?tw=wn20001230

Real threat, or someone seeking funding ?

I like the holiday warnings because they often let me know about
holidays I never knew existed.  They sometimes read a bit like
this day in revolutionary history.  The problem is every day of
the year is important to some group.

However, a holiday DDOS attack is a bit of an oxymoron.  If a tree
falls in a forest....  If no one is using the service over the holiday
weekend, is anyone denied?  The "pearl harbor" sunday morning attack
isn't the best model for DDOS.

Rapid distribution of e-mail viruses implies lots of people reading
e-mail.  Fewer people read e-mail over the holiday weekend suggesting a
slower spread of viruses.  E-mail viruses spread the fastest during
the workday.

DDOS attacks are most devestating when network traffic is already
near its peak.  A truck jackknifed in the middle of rush hour affects
a lot more people than an accident on sunday morning.  DDOS isn't as
effective when there is lots of spare capacity.

Collecting zombie computers is mostly a matter of numbers.  Since many
of the probes are automated, they occur 24 hours a day 7 days a week without
regard of holdays or weekends.

Of course, that presumes there is some logic or reason for the attack.