nanog mailing list archives

Re: whois broke again?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 01:36:25 -0500

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 00:47:41 EST, John Hawkinson said:
Whats amazing to me is that there is not one peep from NSI about this, no
news service picked up on it, and it will go unnoticed, in general.

Isn't it amazing that a company as significant on the 'net as NSI can have
such repetitive, continual database problems, and no one cares?

Perhaps it's because no one bothers to report the problems to them
instead people send mail to bitch-and-moan () merit edu which
just happens to forward to nanog?

A) Do you happen to have proof that people *arent* reporting the
problems to NSI as well as posting here?

B) Considering how important NSI has been to keeping the net
going, I'm surprised we haven't seen a CNN soundbite of Wolf Blitzer
standing in front of NSI's corporate headquarters, talking about
NSI executives preparing to explain to a Congressional subcommittee
exactly why there are so many problems...

A few days ago a total of 13 sites got DOS'ed, for an average  of
a few hours each, and that got MAJOR press coverage.  It's surprising
there wasn't a similar fuss the time that 30% of the .com's were
dropped on the floor due to a undetected disk-full condition, and
sites were having sporadic problems for several DAYS till all the DNS
caches timed out, or the time a few days later there was ANOTHER
problem, or the time.....

Let's face it guys, taken on the "number of sites times outage time"
basis, NSI operational issues have screwed a *LOT* more of the 4
million .COM's out there than trin00 has....

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech