nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICMP rate limiting on EGRESS (Warning, operational content inside)

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 07:52:26 -0800 (PST)

Is this a good idea?

seems to me that there's sufficient chance that it is a REALLY good idea,
that folk should seriously try it.

ideas that good should have been implemented a long time ago. OTOH, I am
of the opinion that the real problem is neither ICMP nor IP directed
broadcast. the real problem, as I see it, is spoofed-source packets. the

upon further pondering, I came up with this variation on a time-honored
favorite:
the solution: cheap, easy, correct...pick 2.

        Source routing and connection based services are creaping into
        the Internet, slowly but surely.  Both are a far cry from the
        destination forwarding and connectionless service that I grew
        up with.

--bill