nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Earthlink Contact - Important Root Hacked

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:38:53 -0400

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 12:46:12PM -0700, K. Graham wrote:

Sorry to bother you all but I am looking for a contact at Earthlink.
The IP is under Sprint Advanced Network Services, Altamonte Springs
Florida.  We have called that contact and shuffled onto Earthlink.  The

Does it reverse lookup to something sprint-hsd.net?

If so, it's somebody's DSL connection, and it may or may not be (but probably is)
a dynamic IP.

I'd nmap it and see what OS it is, and if it's Linux or Unix take a shot at
emailing root at that address, maybe you'll get lucky.

Then point them at http://www.elug.org, which is the local Linux User's Group
in that area, and I'll give 'em a few pointers on firewall setup.

If you'd like to email me privately with the IP, feel free.