nanog mailing list archives

RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

From: "Derek J. Balling" <dredd () megacity org>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 10:14:37 -0700

Also, as I
said, there are valid reasons to allow third-party relays. In
fact, they are even required, depending on circumstances.

Sorry... don't buy it. Upgrade your MTA to sendmail 8.10 or above and have your customers use current versions of their MUA's if they wish to travel. SMTP-AUTH is your friend and it appears to be fairly well supported now within the various consumer MUA's. (Admittedly, this time last year that wasn't necessarily the case)

I fail to see an occurrence where an open relay is "necessary". Can you describe one for me?