nanog mailing list archives

Re: Path-MTU-discovery

From: "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:12:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

Wow, why would the ICMPs get lost?

I think it's because of access lists etc. I am not the one who have
set it up so I do not know. We've had this problem from two different
companies (one for our national needs and one for our international
needs). The international one has solved it with what you mention
below.

Wouldn't it be unfortunante if the script kiddies decided to do DoS over
ICMP Need-Frag... This is a very bad situation we find ourselves in you
realize? The quicker we find a way to get rid of this rather bad hack the
better.

Rate-limits of need-frag can help, but many people are still in a
position where their filters leave need-frag wide open and they can't or
aren't currently rate limiting.

The PMTU-D blackhole detection-type checks help keep this current hack
alive a little longer. I'm not currently aware of the extent to which
various OS's implement this kind of thing, any ideas?

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>   http://www.e-gerbil.net/humble