nanog mailing list archives

Re: SUMMARY: bw usage?

From: "Neil J. McRae" <neil () COLT NET>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:05:40 +0100 (BST)

Thanks to everyone who shared thoughts, ideas and experience
regarding monitoring bandwidth usage on Ethernet switch ports
without including broadcast traffic.

EVERYONE tends to agree that a separate VLAN for each co-located
customer is the only professional way to do things "right".

I agree, and plan to move in that direction, fast.  Then I won't
have to worry about broadcast traffic, either!

Other recommended solutions included:

   - MRTG
     This is great (I use it elsewhere) but it doesn't directly
     address the issue I have of *not* including broadcast traffic

You might want to look at cricket and RRDTool for a much more
scalable solution. [http://cricket.soundforge.net/].

   - Cisco 6500 switches apparently support "Private VLANS", which
     don't burn up IP addresses.  Sounds cool, wish I had a 6500 ;-)

I'd be interested in finding out more about this as we are currently
using CAT 6500 switches and burning up IP addresses can you tell
me more about this?

Regards,
Neil.