nanog mailing list archives

Re: PGP kerserver infrastructure

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:29:39 -0400

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000629104337.11811B-100000 () Overkill EnterZone Net>,
John Fraizer writes:

While I agree with the statement, I take exception to any notion that
_any_ service we provide would be "marginal."  Thus far, my network has a
higher uptime percentage than any carrier we interconnect with, period,
the end.  We planned, built and operate a regional exchange, including the
route servers, that has been live 24/7 for 11 months.  That is 0% downtime
for the route-server platform and the exchange fabric.

The issue isn't so much network availability -- though a key server
designed to meet the needs of NANOG folks is interesting, since they
most need to talk to each other when the net isn't working well -- as
service availability.  That has all sorts of implications at the
application level.

                --Steve Bellovin