nanog mailing list archives

Re: Class B address routing

From: Brandon Ross <bross () netrail net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 20:57:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Kenji Anzai wrote:

I'm having problem with our class B address.  Last month, we tested our
class B address.  We announce the address as 2 x /17 from 2 different
POP under the same ISP's data center.  However, some ISP do NOT accept
our route since the address belongs to traditional Class B address, and
they told me that they only accept if we announce it as /16. (They
filtered out our route…..)

I talked to some people, they suggested me that we need to announce the
block as /16 from both POP, even though we only like to announce /17
from each POP (Front /17 from one POP, the other /17 from another POP.).

How could we do so ?  Please help us.

At both POPs, announce the /16 normally.  Then also announce the specific
/17 as a non-export route.  The effect will be that the /16 will be
announced to the world so those ISPs that filter will listen to the
announcement.  Your upstream ISP will have both /17's so they will direct
the traffic within their network to the appropriate POP.  An added benefit
of this configuration will be that if one of your POPs goes down, the
traffic will automatically re-route to the other POP.

Brandon Ross                                                 404-522-5400
VP Engineering, NetRail                            http://www.netrail.net
AIM:  BrandonNR                                             ICQ:  2269442
Read RFC 2644!
Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.