nanog mailing list archives

Re: That pesky AS path corruption bug...

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 23 May 2000 13:47:59 -0700

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Jeff Haas wrote:
The only valid defense against such mucking that I can think of
is verifying AS adjacencies against some registry and flagging
unknown paths.  This is not a cheap thing to do.  This, however,
is far saner than cryptographically signing all routing updates
which is one solution I've heard proposed. :-P

You can cryptographically sign bad information as well as good
information.  Cryptography is good for detecting alterations, not
if the information was correct in the first place.