nanog mailing list archives

Re: RADWare Linkproof? (or better ways to multihome)

From: John Fraizer <nanog () EnterZone Net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:45:11 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Barton F. Bruce wrote:

You could always use a 2620 or 2621 with their internal 1 or 2 fast
ethernet ports and then use an external VLAN savvy switch to get as many
more as you need.

Um, you've got a 26xx series Cisco taking multiple full views?  (The
subject does say "or better ways to multihome".)

Use one switch port for the 802.1q vlan trunk, and set each other switch
port to be in a seperate vlan. Create subinterfaces on the router for
each, and use the vlan number as the .<whatever> subinterface number for
simplicity.

This works fine until you run out of packet overhead on that trunk
interface.

If getting the 7206, realise that there is now a dual 10/100 option for
the I/O controller card as well as a gig-e/10meg dual port I/O card
option. It is less $ than the PA-GE card. The gig-e can do VLANS, too.
DON'T get the PA card with dual 100 meg as it isn't designed for full
speed.

Also consider the 300 processor as obsolete now with the 400 at the same
price. I wonder why the 400 is less $ than the NSE-1, too.

Also realize that you can build a PC router with multiple OC3 and GE
ports, loads of memory and faster processor(s) for less than 1/2 the cost
of the 7206 chassis naked.

Ours has been more stable that the Cisco gear (72xx and 75xx) it is
connected to.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc