nanog mailing list archives

Re: MCI WORLDCOM TO PAY $3.5 MILLION

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 12 Nov 2000 18:01:00 -0800

On Sun, 12 November 2000, "Mark Mentovai" wrote:
The drive to "slam" is pushed by dollars.  I can't think of any situation in
which someone might profit from announcing address space without
authorization.  The problems facing the Internet are mostly due to laziness
and lack of clue, enabled by an experimental infrastructure designed to
support neither of these things.  IP assumes non-hostile, non-lazy, and
non-clueless nodes.

Sure it is.  When I asked why did providers announced addresses improperly,
I've been told by both Sprint and UUNET engineers "because they paid us and
you don't."