nanog mailing list archives

RE: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 12:39:58 -0800

From: Ethan Butterfield [mailto:primus () veris org]
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2000 11:45 AM
To: Jim Mercer
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

From: Jim Mercer <jim () reptiles org>

as i understand it, ipsec doesn't use ports.

Yes and no. IPSec uses UDP port 500 for the ISAKMP key
exchange and the
tunnel setup, but all other traffic is IP Protocol 50 (ESP)
or 51 (AH).
Most firewalls I've seen block wierd (i.e., just about
everything that's
not standard TCP or IP Protocol 1 (ICMP)) by default, or at
least flag it
as strange.

In shops that block SSH, this is also what they do and is exactly what I
meant. I apologize for not communicating clearly and typing poorly (too many
decades writing code).

It should not be hard to set up a persistent IPSec tunnel between UNIX
hosts in order to pass SMB/NETBIOS traffic. You could even do it
router-to-router in gateway mode and have the traffic be
cleartext on the
internal side of both networks, and 3DES/SHA-1 to the rest of
the world.

When possible, I do this. The whole point of this is that transit providers
should not be filtering unless specifically requested.

For the Road Warrior, though, it's going to be somewhat more difficult
without using a VPN, as the Win32 implementations of IPSec are
somewhat...lacking. (Or at least they were six months ago when I last
tried the SSH IPsec shim for NT4.) Win2K's built-in IPSec
makes life much
easier...if you've got clients using Win2K. Can't vouch for
interoperability between Win2K-UNIX, though. Never tried it myself.

I did, just as soon as it came out. It sux! Active directory also does a
number on the DOMAIN stuff in Samba. Fortunately, it allows backwards
compatibility to old-style WinNT4SP5 hosts. In fact, and I am sure that MS
did it to mess with the Samba folks, the entire DOMAIN stuff has been
re-spec'd and re-written.

---
I can't afford to have a preference, I must be agnostic.