nanog mailing list archives

Re: DoS attacks, NSPs unresponsiveness

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 3 Nov 2000 01:49:32 -0800

On Thu, 02 November 2000, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
We can write as many RFCs and BCPs as we want and discuss this item again
and again - the truth is - nothing we say or do will make a difference
until the government creates regulation on the matter.  The same way every
phone company has to run a 911 number in event of emergencies, so too must
ISPs provide an abuse () xxxxx net email address that not only gives an
auto-reply but actually has people behind it to handle the problem.

People from at least three different US Government agencies have asked
me if there is a need for government intervention in this precise area,
either full-blown laws and regulations; or nudging such as including it
in GSA and other government contracts (i.e. like the drug-free workplace
requirements if you want to bid on a government contract).

I'm old enough to remember the AUP NSF days (and I walked to school in
the snow, up hill both ways).  I'm afraid if we go down this path, the
intervention won't be limited.