nanog mailing list archives

Re: ATM Question

From: "Thomas P. Brisco" <brisco () globix net>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:07:41 -0400 (EDT)

        We were seeing something similar yesterday (and yup -
it's still there today).  We also noted that if you turn on the
record-route options, then your problem will disappear (I suspect
packet options may cause delivery to be ok - though while the RR
option helps, DF doesnt, but "timestamp" will).  We're not seeing
packet loss in any other scenario.  I noticed, suspiciously, that
there is always a very "hockey toothed" (every other packet) pattern
in the lossage (load balancing onto a botched circuit?).

        Things I've played with:
        * size          50%     (tried 800, 1200, 2500)
        * DF            50%
        * RR            100%
        * pattern       seems to be generally 50%
        * timestamp     100%
        * TOS           50%

        We've opened up a case with cisco ... seems pretty
bizarre, but could it be the ATM switch?
        As long as we're not using the source address of
the ATM network - things are fine (e.g. sourcing off of
the loopback, going one hop back, etc).

                                                - Tom