nanog mailing list archives

Re: Channelized T1's & Remote Access Routers

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () netmore net>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 16:39:13 -0700

I've done something similar in the past by using external Adtran DSUs
with pass-through capability.  I set the channel-map in the DSU to pull
the channels out which are used for voice, FAX, etc. and get/pass them
from/to the PBX using a DSX-1 interface before they ever hit the V.35
interface which plugs into the back of the router.

In this configuration, the router neither knows nor cares about the
channels which aren't used for data traffic.

Karyn Ulriksen wrote:

I've been handling routing for web farms for quite a while and all my
clients have leased lines (T1's, T3's, etc) and haven't done much in the way
of dialup connects except for a portmaster here and there for backdoor
stuff.  As a result, I'm a little dumb about basic dial-up access and
equipment.

What access router would I need to take in a channelized T1 that needs to
have 6 of the lines split out for feeds to a fax server and the remaining
used for dialup POPs?  I've been looking at the Ascend/Lucent SuperPipe 155
and the Cisco 36xx and 53xx, but wonder if those can split out the fax
server feeds I need from the T1.

Any and all *constructive* feedback on this will be greatly appreciated.

Karyn

--
 Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () netmore net> // 818.535.5024 voice