nanog mailing list archives

RE: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: "Christian Kuhtz" <ck () arch bellsouth net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:37:52 -0400

Erm, I thought napster worked OK through NAT...

Not if both sides are using NAT.  And, since what we're talking about here is
getting EVERYBODY to use it, it thus stands to reason that this would be the
case.

Exactly.  Finally somebody who gets it.

NAT is a kludge.  IP was made to use addresses, anything else is a kludge and
always will be.

Perhaps it's time for this forum and others to seriously worry about IPv6
deployment, instead of finding yet another fix for the fix of a fix to further
break a broken allocation model.

Anyone who believes that you can somehow permanently slow of freeze the need
for ip addresses significantly needs a reality check, IMHO.

--
Christian Kuhtz, Sr. Network Architect              Architecture, BellSouth.net
<ck () arch bellsouth net> -wk, <ck () gnu org> -hm                       Atlanta, GA