nanog mailing list archives

Re: Disabling QAZ (was Re: Port 139 scans)

From: Dan Hollis <goemon () sasami anime net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, John Fraizer wrote:
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:
It would be cool if someone would make a tool that would auto-disinfect
users...
Yep.  The problem with that is that current laws on the books (in the US
at least) make this an illegal solution.  If memory serves me correctly,
the one I'm thinking about is worded something like:
"...any person who without authorization, accesses, modifies, deletes or
destroys..."

A web page that users themselves must click "OK, disinfect me"? Seems
authorization enough to me...

The penalties are pretty stiff too.  The best of intentions don't negate
the fact that it's illegal.

When the user initiates the disinfection themselves?

-Dan