nanog mailing list archives

Re: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

From: woods () weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:02:36 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Wednesday, August 29, 2001 at 10:06:48 (-0400), Leo Bicknell wrote: ]
Subject: Re: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

Don't even get me started on the discussion of why they were custom
designing a board for the route processor, when there are off the
shelf motherboards, or if it must fit in a form factor, motherboard
designs that would be less costly for them, use all off the shelf
parts, and would allow them to bring things to market quicker.

Take a look inside a Juniper router -- you should be pleasantly
surprised by the very standard CompacPCI processor board you'll find
inside of it that, among a few other things, does the route
processing....  and it's running mostly stock FreeBSD no less....  even
with a root prompt you can get at!

There was no reason for those past failures.  It was a combination
of bean counters, cluelessness, and lazyness.

Interestingly some of the Juniper engineers are ex-Cisco from what I know....

 The routing table
is growing slower than the number of lines of code in Windows, and
god help us if we can make Windows "work" we should be able to do
some simple routing.

Aint that the truth!

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>     <woods () robohack ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>