nanog mailing list archives

Re: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

From: George Michaelson <ggm () apnic net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:59:54 +1000

I recall something about liquid (something, could be nitrogen, or perhaps
even mercury) that was chilled; PC Boards were then submersed in the
liquid to keep cool.

Maybe on Crays?

Flourinert. very odd Lime green transparent liquid. in our cray, it was
in a tank with a toilet float to keep the fluid topped up.

the pipe bend radii for the cray fluid was *more* than the IBM waterpipes.
our floor was raised to meet IBM. we had to sweat blood to get the cray in
because of a 10-12mil difference. :-(

the 400hz voltage genset was deeply scary. circuit breakers that smoke
when they blow, fuzes like those in 'bil(l) the galactic hero'

-George