nanog mailing list archives

Re: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

From: Christian Nielsen <cnielsen () nielsen net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:16:09 -0700 (PDT)

 >Should there be a limit of 1 of these assignments made per 'entity', with
 >renumbering occurring if further address space is required ?

For clarification, the current proposal did not specify any limitation
on the number of such assignments.

What would be the motivation for this?

I would say, to keep the tables from growing. Either have them renumber
into another 'larger' space or allow them to grow into a larger space.

micro allocations are a good thing (tm) if they are done right.

 >If so should we consider reserving the next larger block for a period of
 >time, to account for possible growth ?

No reservations will be made. It is generally assumed that applicants
will be paying a one-off service fee, rather than an ongoing
membership based fee. This is in fact identical to the way that PI
assignments can currently be obtained. The proposal restricts the
assignments to (about to be) multihomed orgs.

ok, if this is the case, have them renumber to keep the number of
announcements down.

 >Should 'small multi-homing' assignments be made from a specific (defined)
 >netblock ?

I think there is a choice here. We can use "swamp" space, found mostly
in 202/8 which by definition does not contain large ranges of address
space, or we can take a range from the less "swampy" space ie. 218/8
and use that. My feeling is that it would be better to use the 202/8
range.

right. but what ever space is used, publish it so those of us that have
filters can adjust for it. :)