nanog mailing list archives

Re: FIBER CUT: Dallas to West Coast

From: Patrick Greenwell <patrick () cybernothing org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:45:59 -0700 (PDT)

On 30 Aug 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Thu, 30 August 2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
I don't know what the goal of "basement dual-homers" is.  I think that
is the other thread, which I haven't been keeping up with.

My point was simply that the "basement dual-homers" probably want the same
thing as the "people that matter", which is disparate paths to the
Internet.

Maybe Bill Gates' or C. Michael Armstrong's homes have dual-entrance
cable vaults, but I suspect most basement dual-homers don't have
disparate paths to the Internet nor or really looking for that level
of reliability.

Sean, I think there is a disconnect in definitions. Randy's orignal rant
defined anyone that didn't have >= /20 worth of space and  2xDS3's as a
potential "basement dual-homer."

By that definition there are a large number of "basement dual-homers" out
there.

So what do basement dual-homers really want?  Most folks seem to be
trying to protect themselves from the business practices of their provider,
not necessarily the physical problems.  Are we solving the wrong problem
precisely?

Well, as a "basement dual-homer"(by Randy's definition), I want disparate
paths, as well as insulation from poor service and/or the complete
failure(as a business) of a given organization. Having suffered at the
hands of various bandwidth and large colo providers over the years("yes
your service was down for 3 hours, where would you like your check for $27.12
sent?") I would never in good conscience recommend that an organization
which wishes to provide 24/7 availability single-home, and based on my
experience I reject the notion that there are magic providers out there
that never go down.