nanog mailing list archives

Re: MPLS VPNs or not? [ bust a gut laughing]

From: Fletcher E Kittredge <fkittred () gwi net>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 11:16:40 -0400

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 16:18:25 -0400  Dave Israel wrote:
1991    ATM

Running DSL circuits everywhere (though not for much longer, at
this rate.) Not to mention voice and video, and even some IP
backbones.

I almost included DSL in my original list of failed, telco originated
technologies, but the list was getting too long.

Obligatory off topic digression: My current happiness is based on
events of the year 1996, Common Era.  In that year, we:

1) read Scott Bradner's post on NANOG in which he said that generation
   two of cable modems were pretty good (if Bradner says it works, it
   works),

2) read the DSL specs, and realized that not only did bellheads write
   them, but they were ATM based.  Therefore, DSL would fail.