nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Lost job? Need help? NANOG Recruiting BOF!

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong sj ca us>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:40:55 -0800

Jake Khuon wrote:

### On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:21:27 -0500, Timothy Brown
### <timothy.brown () pobox com> casually decided to expound upon
### nanog () merit edu the following thoughts about "OT: Lost job? Need help?
### NANOG Recruiting BOF!":

TB> that are in this boat like I am, it might make more sense to network
TB> with each other - as a result, i'd like to start a recruiting BOF for
TB> people in the NANOG circle.
TB>
TB> I'd like to suggest as a starting point that interested parties looking for
TB> a job send mail to me privately with a brief overview of your qualifications
TB> and a link to a place for your resume.  I'll create a webpage and mailing
TB> list with this information before the holidays, and i'll send a summary to
TB> nanog containing the relevant information for both employers and candidates.

While I appreciate the efforts involved in bringing together people and
employers (I too have been unemployed due to recent layoffs), I would
caution us to distance this from NANOG as it does not fit the charter of
NANOG.

Hmmm... Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  Keeping the quality people on
the net on the net and able to keep the net humming is definitely, in
my opinion, a Network Issue requiring Coordination, under the current
circumstances.  As such, I think this is at least a gray area.  Besides,
NANOG is a community.  NANOG BOFs cover things that may or may not be
within the NANOG charter, but which impact the NANOG community.  As
such,
I think it's entirely appropriate to a BOF.

Owen
(One of the lucky few that hasn't been RIF'd yet)

--
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- |

--
"Every time you turn on your new car, you're turning on 20
 microprocessors.  Every time you use an ATM, you're using a computer.

"One World, One Web, One Program." - Microsoft Promotional Ad
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler