nanog mailing list archives

Re: net.terrorism

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () bit nl>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:43:50 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Paul A Vixie wrote:

(you reply fast ;)

After this mail, we contacted Above.net again. They basically told us it
was for our own protection

no.

Yes, on the phone actually by the women who contacted you in the first
place...

                           because that traffic from that host does not
comply to their AUP.

yes.

I can live with that. But stop announcing it...

                       We specifically told them we really don't mind them
blackholing that host but *announcing* a route for it. So far no response.

you expect abovenet to cut uunet's /16 into pieces so as to avoid sending to
its customers the parts which violate abovenet's acceptable use guidelines?
even if this were a scalable approach (considering the number of /16's which
have violating /32's inside them, or will in the future), it's something i'd
expect the owner of the /16 to take issue with.

What I would expect is that you would choose between two things:

1. you blackhole but do NOT announce those netblocks;
2. you annonce AND deliver traffic to every host in it;

Don't you agree that announcing means delivering traffic? Especially for
customers.

why are we discussing this on nanog?

Because Above.net seems violates the first thing needed in
internetworking: trust. If you tell me you will deliver traffic to $blah,
I think I may expect you to do so. That's my whole point. Nullroute as
much as you want but don't announce it on your border routers...

--
/*  Sabri Berisha, non-interesting network dude.
 *