nanog mailing list archives

Re: SSM vs MSDP (was: IP Multicasting)

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () att net il>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:28:11 +0200

At 10:40 03/01/01 -0500, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

You left out that SAP/SDR will not support SSM. There has been a big argument about this in the SSM IETF WG. The consensus is that source info will be communicated out of band (i.e., web pages). As usual, I take the minority viewpoint. I think that SSM will NEED something like SAP. Just think about doing a beacon project where beacons can join at will - how would you know in SSM ? I think that there sorts of consideration will lead to a re-inventing of the SAP wheel in some scalable fashion.

IPmc requires many debugging tools, builtin to the native router, to make it all work. Without sap/sdr capabilities, SSM will never take off. Having all the web pages out there are nice extras, but do not replace the needed builtin tools.

-Hank

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624
Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : tme () on-the-i com     tme () multicasttech com

http://www.on-the-i.com http://www.buzzwaves.com