nanog mailing list archives

Re: Maintenance Windows for Networks Spanning Multiple Time Zones

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:37:06 +0000 (UCT)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:20:03 EST, "Brett L. Hawn" said:
Pardon my intrusion, but common sense tells me: at a time where you will
have the least amount of impact on the least amount of people.

I'll play devil's advocate here.  Do you want to minimize the impact on
the end users, or the number of phone calls generated to the NOC? ;)

One of doing this is to split into several zones. We have one for US work,
one for transatlantic and one for Europe. This increases the complexity
but tends to lower the impact per maintenace session.

- kurtis -

Too complex.  Back in the Day... :)
We scheduled our maintaince windows between 09:00 and 10:00 local time.
Our techs were awake, we could get vendors on the phone and parts shipped
if needed.

--bill