nanog mailing list archives

Re: broadband clarification

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 17:44:25 -0400

Larry Diffey wrote:

Alright, for all of you who decided to lecture me on the definition of broadband and it's meaning in strict
engineering terms, allow me to clarify (especially for the snotty
ones). First off, words can have more than one meaning and that meaning should be taken in context.  For example; I'm
sure that none of you really think that a cable modem is a
modem since it doesn't do AD/DA conversion but we all understand that it's simply a device used to connect a customer
to a provider.  After all "cable modem" is nothing more than
a marketing term so that customers have a rough understanding of what the device does (not that they always
understand that either). When I chose to use the term broadband as a
reference point for my survey, I mistakenly thought that your brains would parse that out to mean "an minimum
acceptable level of bandwidth for consumer internet traffic".  If
you consider that to be current DSL/Cable speeds fine.  If you take that to mean some future technology using quantum
mechanics fine. So, if you're going to lecture me on the
definition of bandwidth then please stop using the term modem unless you're talking about an actual modem device.
The question then remains: What (in your opinion) constitutes
broadband according to the services that have been promised to consumers but not yet delivered? Yes, I understand
that it's not just speed, but take everything else into account
when  you consider the minimum speed. Feel free to be immature enough to flame me for my lecture.  Larry Diffey

My first "broadband" connection was a 56 kbps satellite link out of JPL. And, yes, in an era of
300 baud modems, that was broadband (and very expensive).

IMHO, "broadband" at present means bit rates > 128 kbps (2 ISDN channels).

I am, however, focused on the residential / SOHO market. YMMV.

                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624       Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : tme () multicasttech com
http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
 Check the status of multicast in real time :
 http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html