nanog mailing list archives

Re: PPPOE, MTU, and boom.

From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () nac net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 03:24:22 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 07:57:23AM +0100, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

    Could it be Path MTU/fragmentation issues on account of the low
    MTU you have in combination with some ICMP issues where network
    admins have some screwy setup?

That's exactly what it is... a large (1500 byte probably) TCP datagram
with the DF bit set will be heading towards his edge device which are
PPPoE connected.

Great domain, btw (f00f.org, brings back memories of division)...

Anyway, a great stride was just made in my lab^H^H^Hbasement. First off,
it appears a 'ip mtu 1492' on the Virtual-Template of the IOS Router
aggregating the PPPOE session is not strictly enforced, especially with
windows. Another words,  I saw in the PPP debug that the MRU wasn't being
negotiated.

So, I found this really nifty utility, aptly named 'Mr. TCP':

        http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

It allows you to tinker with the Windows settings of TCP. I adjusted MTU
to 1400, wham-o, all the sites I listed started working; including, what I
didn't list before, the downloading of transactions via Quicken. Seems to
be a fixall.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex () nac net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --