nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multicast Traffic on Backbones

From: Joshua Goodall <joshua () roughtrade net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:09:48 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Tim Winders wrote:

Now my eye's are glazing over.  :-)  Did you mean "receive but not send"

i did indeed. there wash shushi in my keyboardsh.

UUnet's arguement for charging to sendis that you can potentially chew up
large portions of their network bandwith with only a small connection
yourself.

what else is multicast for? hopefully it works out cheaper than your
expected outbound unicast streams would have cost (including the clue
overhead for supporting mcast)

Very true.  I am having a hard time grasping the technical specifics.  It
has taken quite a bit of study and discussion to figure out what I have so
far, and I am sure I have misunderstood many things.  Unfortunately, what
I am finding out, is that multicast is a subject that rarely comes up as
an option with customers.  There isn't a demand, so the providers don't
put the resources into it...

things don't gain momentum if they keep changing direction.

<sotto-voce>the same might be said to the v6 folks</sotto-voce>

- J