nanog mailing list archives

Re: standards for giving out blocks of IP addresses

From: David R Huberman <huberman () gblx net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:22:32 -0700 (MST)

Since this is NANOG, I'll restrict my comments to ARIN policy:

Unfortunately RFC2050 doesn't address at what point additional address
space should be assigned to an end user, however, it never uses the
80% figure in that respect.

Interestingly, ARIN doesn't publish any policy on additional address
space assignments to end-users.

However, I can tell you that in practice (and it's common sense, too) ARIN
does not issue additional assignments to end-users until they demonstrate
that they have used their previous assignment efficiently (80%). Why?

Because:

This means that if they are already at 50%, you assign them another
block equial in size to what they have, and they reasonably expect to
double their utilization in the next year, that everyone should be
happy.

You can't use 25% of the additional block immediately if you still have
50% of the initial block available*.

Again, though it's not written down (Richard Jimmerson?? Comments?), ARIN
does not issue end-users additional blocks until their existing blocks are
efficiently utilized.

/david

[*] if you can, you're a special case that's not material to this
discussion.