nanog mailing list archives

Re: aol rejects mailing lists?

From: Andy Bradford <bradipo () xmission com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:40:57 -0600

Thus said "J.F. Noonan" on Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:00:41 CDT:

When I first read it, I laughed out loud because I *do* tend to
think of AOL as an incorrect domain.  But this, coupled with
Christian's report, looks more like they've broken something than
done something deliberate.  Telneting to port 25 of
air-yh04.mail.aol.com times out at the moment...

Hmm, that shouldn't come as a surprise since it isn't even listed as an
MX:

[andy@home:mail andy]$ dnsmx aol.com
15 mailin-01.mx.aol.com
15 mailin-02.mx.aol.com
15 mailin-03.mx.aol.com
15 mailin-04.mx.aol.com

In addition, unless you have some special routes, I'm not even sure how
you are getting anywhere with that name:

[andy@home:mail andy]$ dnsip air-yh04.mail.aol.com
172.18.147.41

Which is clearly a private class address as defined by RFC 1918.
Probably a big no-no publishing private addresses in your public DNS,
but this is AOL we're talking about, right? :-)

Andy
--
  6:40pm  up 42 days, 21:18,  4 users,  load average: 1.14, 1.29, 1.20